Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interactive rendering too quickly

Hello,

I'm using interactive rendering a lot because I do a lot of product visualizations and therefore move lights around a lot. Whenever I move a light or object interactive rendering updates the RT window and this is what I want but it's doing it too quickly. If I start to move a light Fstorm starts updating immediately and so while I'm moving it, 3ds max starts to stutter and it's hard to get the light in the right position. it would be much more useful if Fstorm would wait with updating the scene when I'm done moving the light, or at least a second or two delay from when I start moving stuff.

Thanks.

-Joep

Hi.

You can set update rate in interactive render panel.

Comment

I tried it but it's either not working as it should be or it not what I mean.

As soon as I start dragging an object the RT window starts to refresh, whether I put in 1 second or 20 seconds in the render panel the result is the same. What I would like to happen is that the RT window only refreshes when I'm done moving the object. So after I move it there should be a delay of 1 or 2 seconds so that the software can check if I'm done moving the object, and then refresh.

Comment

Hi Tok Tok,

The best way to avoid viewport lag with RT is using one dedicated GPU to displaying by plugging your monitor(s) to this one, and using another GPU dedicated to rendering.
        From FStorm settings, for the display gpu uncheck "RT render" chekbox (but you can set it to "Mat render" if you want) and set the second GPU to both "RT render" and "Mat render".

Try it and see.
        Software: FStormRender: 1.5.0h | Drivers NV: 456.71 | 3dsMax: 2020.3 | Windows: 10 x64
        Hardware: Gpu: GTX1080 Phoenix GLH | Cpu: i7-2600k@4.5GHz | Ram: 16GB | SSD: Samsung 860 Pro

Comment

Thank you for responding, I tried what you said but I'm not sure I'm selecting the right GPU. The numbers on the cards that Nvidia gives them (1) or (2) don't match with Fstorm numbers. I tried different combinations but it's still lagging when I move an object. How can I know which GPU is the one with the monitor plugged in in the Fstorm settings?

Comment

Sorry, I forgot a detail.
            A few years ago 3dsmax was running on the display gpu, but since for some reason it runs only on the GPU#1, while all other programs run on the display GPU (that you can define to manage vram).
            In short, the dedicated gpu for 3dsmax must be GPU#1. To check it, you have to activate the nvidia gpu activity icon to show the link between gpu and programs (gpu activity = a program on a gpu uses vram of this gpu).

Turn on icon from nvidia control panel > desktop menu > and this option :
            Click image for larger version

Name:	vramnotif.png
Views:	1
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	11779

Now you can check which one GPU 3dsmax use :
            Click image for larger version

Name:	gpuactivity.png
Views:	1
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	11780

So i think you need to uncheck "render" to the first gpu in fstorm list; "1080 Ti (1)" instead of "1070 Ti (4)".

Please let me know if it works.

Edit:
            If it works as expected, i think it can be better to move one of your 1070Ti to the first slot into your computer, to benefit of full power of your currently first 1080Ti for rendering.
            Last edited by Sylk; 07-30-2019, 12:15 AM.
            Software: FStormRender: 1.5.0h | Drivers NV: 456.71 | 3dsMax: 2020.3 | Windows: 10 x64
            Hardware: Gpu: GTX1080 Phoenix GLH | Cpu: i7-2600k@4.5GHz | Ram: 16GB | SSD: Samsung 860 Pro

Comment

Unfortunately it doesn't seem to work. But I'm not sure if I'm setting the correct graphics card because I'm using windows 7 and the GPU taskmanager you showed is not available on Win7. I've tried to turn off all the GPU's in the manager and leave only one checked to see if that would make a difference but it didn't (I also switched them on and off, 1 by 1).

It's pretty quick moving the camera of an object (it tries to refresh every second or so) but when I'm doing something more intensive, like for example scale the mapping on an object, then it starts to stutter heavily. It makes the workflow less than optimal unfortunately.
              Last edited by Tok Tok; 07-31-2019, 10:52 AM.

Comment

I'm disappointed to hear that. Perhaps context (some movings lag while others are smooth) or versions (max and fstorm) were different in my case. Alas i can't try because my old 570 is no longer supported by Fstorm. Sorry.

However, about icon, i guess my short tuto is badly done so look at this one : https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/...n-windows.html

Comment

I took another look at it and I think that the icon you are talking about it just not supported in win7. But I found another way to figure out which GPU is used by windows. If you go into the Fstorm settings while rendering an image you can check and uncheck different GPU's. If you then look at the available GPU memory in the RT window you can see which GPU is used because you can see the available memory drop to a lower number.

Another way, and simpler, is to get GPUshark. In the detailed mode you can see which GPU is used by different programs.

So I'm now sure which GPU is used by 3ds max and unchecked it in the GPU manager but unfortunately, it's still lagging. It still looks to me that Fstorm is trying to update to soon, it should be that whenever I'm still moving an object or scaling a UVW map, it shouldn't update the RT window.

Comment

Originally posted by Tok Tok View Post
                    I took another look at it and I think that the icon you are talking about it just not supported in win7.
                    Yes, it is supported, just different. https://support.lenovo.com/fr/fr/solutions/ht069153
                    Brief.

Comment

So weird that I don't have this option.. I also tried to install the registry file but didn't help..

Comment

Working...
                      X