Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fstorm Wishlist / Questions. Alex Roman.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fstorm Wishlist / Questions. Alex Roman.

Dear Andrey *Karba*,

First of all, i would express my respect for ALL your works. I've been following your career (VrayScatter, MultiScatter, Madcar, etc...). These all tools of you saved my life several times.

My name is Alex Roman (you can check some of my old works here: https://vimeo.com/user1337612)

I'm writing to you because i'm experimenting with some "new" GPU based renderer solutions lately and to find a proper candidate for using "it" in my current and/or future projects. I came across FStorm like a couple of months or so and i must say i'm TRULY impressed. My most sincere congratulations Andrey.

Altough i'm aware that is a very young render engine i'm not really aware of the future plans/roadmap of its progression. So, i have some doubts and/or questions i was hoping you can help me with understanding the future of Fstorm. I'm not really sure if this is the appropriate way to ask you or the formal official forum?

Should i ask you here directly or open a proper "Feature Request" thread? In the meantime, hope you do mind to put these in words here.

* Different AA types (with filter sizes)
    * Faster geometry prep o KD Tree speed
    * Built-in VFB with all the IPR options in the final render frame buffer
    * More than 2 MIX Mats
    * Inside+Outside (Normal + Inverted) option in the FStorm DirtMat (Corona-Like)
    * Dedicade Volume Material (with multiple scattering Vrar/Corona like) plus phase function control
    * Atmosphere gizmos possibilities (plus phase function control)
    * Independent Volume in lights (RedShift-like) working together with the Volume Mat and/or Atmosphere
    * Curvature/Cavity Shader
    * LCache, PIC, UHD, etc.... (Vray, RedShift and Corona like)
    * Dedicated Fast SSS model Material
    * Camera distortion. Both Cubic and arbitrary distortion maps
    * Camea DOF controls (Bias, anisotropy, vignetting, arbitrary custom shapes, etc...)
    * FStorm Toolbar
    * Bucket Rendering (?)
    * Nvidia Optix Denosing IPR (Corona like)

Please Andery, forgive my ignorance because maybe some of these things are already implemented and/or your roadmap. But, do you think "these" would be doable and may you be interested in implementing them? maybe anyone here can help on these...

I can post this in the official forum as well. I'm doing it now since had no answer... (

Thank you SO much in advance. Keep up your terrific work, we are all super proud of the work you're doing with FStorm! I REALLY want the FStorm to be my "everyday" render engine

Sincerely,
    Alex Roman
    Last edited by Alex Roman; 08-15-2019, 05:41 PM.
    https://vimeo.com/user1337612

Hi

* Different AA types (with filter sizes)
    No plans for that.

* Faster geometry prep o KD Tree speed
    FStorm doesn't use kd tree, and compilation speed is the best I can do at the moment.

* Built-in VFB with all the IPR options in the final render frame buffer
    What do you mean?

* More than 2 MIX Mats
    No plans for that.

* Inside+Outside (Normal + Inverted) option in the FStorm DirtMat (Corona-Like)
    No plans for that.

* Dedicade Volume Material (with multiple scattering Vrar/Corona like) plus phase function control
    No plans for that.

* Atmosphere gizmos possibilities (plus phase function control)
    I will implement VDB support in the future.

* Independent Volume in lights (RedShift-like) working together with the Volume Mat and/or Atmosphere
    No plans for that.

* Curvature/Cavity Shader
    May be in the future.

* LCache, PIC, UHD, etc.... (Vray, RedShift and Corona like)
    No plans for that.

* Dedicated Fast SSS model Material
    No plans for that.

* Camera distortion. Both Cubic and arbitrary distortion maps
    May be in the future.

* Camea DOF controls (Bias, anisotropy, vignetting, arbitrary custom shapes, etc...)
    May be in the future.

* FStorm Toolbar
    May be in the future.

* Bucket Rendering (?)
    No plans for that.

* Nvidia Optix Denosing IPR (Corona like)
    No plans for that.

Comment

OK. Thanks a lot for your quick answer!

Alex

Comment

Hi Karba,

Thanks again for your answers but still, it's hard for me to understand some parts. I mean, probably you're almost alone on this project which must be really hard and time consuming.

But, on top of this, the "no plans for that" is mainly because you have no time or do want FStorm to be an Arch and product VIZ render engine?

I mean, most of my wishlist features are VERY useful in a daily basis arch and products VIZ. but

I'm aware i can be a true pain in the ass but i TRULY think FStorm could be "THE" GPU engine for all-purposes kind of works. It will be really sad to see how this potential stays as it is without almost essentials features like i previously written (and i thnk i speak for many people in this community).

The reason for "no plans for that" is just a lack of interest from you on these or lack of time?

Thank you SO much much again for your time.

Sincerely,
        Alex Roman

Comment

I'm really curious about this answer too! I also would like to use Fstorm for more projects but because of features that are lacking or bugs with lighting, I'm unable to or costs me extra time to make it work. Because I want to Fstorm to get more advanced I'm keeping my subscription to it, even though I'm only using it once in every few months.

So I'm also curious about why some stuff isn't on the roadmap.

Comment

Originally posted by Tok Tok View Post
            I'm really curious about this answer too! I also would like to use Fstorm for more projects but because of features that are lacking or bugs with lighting, I'm unable to or costs me extra time to make it work. Because I want to Fstorm to get more advanced I'm keeping my subscription to it, even though I'm only using it once in every few months.

So I'm also curious about why some stuff isn't on the roadmap.
            Yeah, essentially the same here. I keep my subscription active in the hopes some of the above features get implemented and because I think the engine has so much potential, but we have only used it on one production job because it just doesn't make sense yet. Even just implementing Optix for IPR and something like the Intel denoiser for production renders would be a huge boost for what I do.

Thanks Andrey and all!

Comment

Hi, Karba!
              Are you planning to make the LAYERED MATERIAL (like in corona)? This could make the proper conversion of many good materials and speedup of migration of people from corona to fstorm

Comment

Originally posted by romanvisio View Post
                Hi, Karba!
                Are you planning to make the LAYERED MATERIAL (like in corona)? This could make the proper conversion of many good materials and speedup of migration of people from corona to fstorm
                no plans at the moment. blending many material together is not a right way.

Comment

Add new type mat of 2side material.

Comment

Originally posted by lhenix View Post
                    Add new type mat of 2side material.
                    use mix material with FrontBack texture.

Comment

Originally posted by Karba View Post

use mix material with FrontBack texture.

THX Karba~! You are best~!

Comment

Working...
                      X