FStormEmission map, or Emission map channel for Environment

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FStormEmission map, or Emission map channel for Environment

to allow light emission from an environment texture. And/Or a new FStormEmission map, to create a composite map including bitmap and emissive map/mask and assigning it to environment (and to any place where material can't be applied). As an entire new Map or as new parameters in existing FStormBitmap.

In two words, same options than Material emission, but into Map.

Thanks
    Last edited by Sylk; 03-17-2022, 05:08 AM.
    Software: FStormRender: 1.5.0h | Drivers NV: 456.71 | 3dsMax: 2020.3 | Windows: 10 x64
    Hardware: Gpu: GTX1080 Phoenix GLH | Cpu: i7-2600k@4.5GHz | Ram: 16GB | SSD: Samsung 860 Pro

I don't really get what you are asking for.
    "light emission from an environment texture" - it looks like direct lighting option in fstorm environment settings.

Comment

Sorry. I mean add an emission texture slot (with possible options) to the Environment rollout.

Click image for larger version

Name:	EnviromentEmissionMap.png
Views:	1
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	12406
      Software: FStormRender: 1.5.0h | Drivers NV: 456.71 | 3dsMax: 2020.3 | Windows: 10 x64
      Hardware: Gpu: GTX1080 Phoenix GLH | Cpu: i7-2600k@4.5GHz | Ram: 16GB | SSD: Samsung 860 Pro

Comment

Most emission settings (power, color, texure, direct lighting) are there (in environment settings). So, what exactly do you need?

Comment

No. Try to get a diffuse map + an emission map at power 1000 applied to environment. This is possible on a Sphere because Material allows this, but not possible on environment because Map can't do it.
          So, only a FStormEmission Map with power setting to 1000, OR an Emission slot on environment with a FStormBitmap assigned to it and a power value to 1000 could do this.

For sure the FStormEmission map would be the better, more flexible (except the FSormMix is not really perfect for compositing, or for some reason doesn't work as expected (adding explanations in the manual would help).

The case.
          I have a texture, i change it with colorcorrection and so on to ouput only highlights from texture.
          So i have the main texture, the background, as diffuse map, and get highlights, as emission map. This allows me to change the highlight brightness without affect the diffuse.
          Now to get a pseudo environment, i have to use a sphere and put the map in 2 separate materials because material diffuse is visible only with scene light. So i have to put background map to emission slot of material #1, power to 1, to see it without scene light, and put highlight map to emission slot of material #2, with a power to 500, to properly play with glare. And finally i mix the 2 materials and assign it to the sphere.
          That works, BUT a sphere is not as convenient as the environment, which is not affected by the scene lights and haven't physical limits.
          So i would use an emissive map (in addition to the main texture) directly with environment to get the same result.

Click image for larger version

Name:	pseudoEnv.png
Views:	1
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	12411

We can't do something similar with environment.

Hope i'm clear.
          (I can send you my scene file)
          Last edited by Sylk; 03-18-2022, 02:15 PM.

Comment

Why can't you set environment power to 1000?

Comment

Because i won't power up background. Only highlights.

Another problem, the 2 maps can't be mixed like i want with FStormMix, which doesn't able to mix like FStormMixMat. So impossible to show highlights above the background...

Comment

Working...
              X