Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nvidia driver version impact on fstorm performance?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the Nvidia 375.xx still the best driver for FStorm 1.2.5a? Willing to test if nobody knows for sure.

p.s. when installing the driver, you can uncheck the Game Ready Driver install, if that is deemed an issue.

Comment

After testing numerous driver versions, I found that the best for me was 378.78 using Windows 10, 3ds Max 2019, FStorm 1.2.5a with 2 x 780Ti's.

Hope this helps anyone.

Comment

Really eh, Im using the latest nvidia driver and dont see much of a problem. Are you saying you get faster renders with that particular driver?

Comment

Yes. I've tested 398.36, 391.35, 378.78, 376.33, 375:95 and 378.78 is by far the fastest.

Comment

Do you think that each driver works differently for different graphics card series?

Comment

I believe so, though I have heard it said that for the 10** series 378.78 is also the best. It may even differ for Windows, Max, and FStorm versions, though you would hope there would be some consistency.

Comment

Hmm, ill have to do some testing then. I have a 980ti and am using the 390 something driver..

Comment

Where are you finding older drivers?
                  Nvidia is only showing me as far back as 382.33 - May 22, 2017.

Comment

Originally posted by danmitch1 View Post
                    Where are you finding older drivers?
                    Nvidia is only showing me as far back as 382.33 - May 22, 2017.
                    I manually searched for the driver by number. I googled 'nvidia ' and the driver number. Make sure you select the Win version as well, so, for example try googling "nvidia 378.78 win 7 64 bit". The link to the nvidia driver site should be at the top.

Comment

Ahhh ok, i figured since I couldn't find it on the nvidia site directly that it wasn't officially available. Is there a way of toggling drivers? Id like to keep the latest drivers installed for gaming but I also want to have the best driver installed for fstorm. I googled a bit but couldn't find anything,ill keep searching.

Comment

Originally posted by ToneDead View Post
                        Yes. I've tested 398.36, 391.35, 378.78, 376.33, 375:95 and 378.78 is by far the fastest.
                        mine is even worst... with the 372.70

Comment

Originally posted by danmitch1 View Post
                          Ahhh ok, i figured since I couldn't find it on the nvidia site directly that it wasn't officially available. Is there a way of toggling drivers? Id like to keep the latest drivers installed for gaming but I also want to have the best driver installed for fstorm. I googled a bit but couldn't find anything,ill keep searching.
                          Not that I know of, I'm afraid. It would be difficult to implement. It is a nuisance to install different drivers, but hopefully I have helped to narrow down which drivers to try and which best to avoid.

Comment

Problem is the 378.78 does not support the 1080 TI, so you can't use those. I see a lot of things Cuda related explicitly state that you need drivers newer than 390.x due to updated cuda models in those? redshift, anything with nvidia optix denoiser for instance. So just keep in mind that there is more to it than just render times.

Comment

What makes you think the 1080 Ti is not compatible with 378.78? The 10xx series is listed as supported.

https://www.nvidia.com/download/driv...x/115887/en-us

Comment

I recently installed 399.07 and it gave me a very slight render time loss, but an improvement in general speed (no lag when rendering). Try that out. I will try out the newest driver soon (399.24) and will report back with my findings.

Comment

Working...
                                X