Animation works in viewport but not in render

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Animation works in viewport but not in render

Hi guys, I posted the following over on the 3ds max forum but I figured id post it here too.
    Ive made a scene where I have animated a 400 frame flock of birds flying across the scene.

I modelled a master bird and animated its wings flapping across 20 frames and set the keys to loop. Then I copied 2 more of this bird and moved their keys slightly to create some variation between the three. I grouped these master birds. I then created a pflow emitter using the bird group as the shape instance. I then created a path using a spline and constrained a speed icon to it. (I also have clouds moving and lightning strikes animated at the same time)

When I play the animation everything is working perfectly in the viewport. However, when I render the 400 frames everything looks fine at first glance, but on closer inspection the birds wings do not flap. The birds are flying along the designated path (spline) perfectly but with their wings motionless. I am using fstorm renderer but do not think it has anything to do with it , although im not 100% ruling it out either.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

I believe I narrowed the issue down to Fstorm. I rendered the same 60 frames of the animation with the ART renderer included with 3ds max and the birds wings flap as they do in the viewport.
    I must be missing something here!

Comment

Originally posted by danmitch1 View Post
      I believe I narrowed the issue down to Fstorm. I rendered the same 60 frames of the animation with the ART renderer included with 3ds max and the birds wings flap as they do in the viewport.
      I must be missing something here!
      Could you please share a scene?
      info@fstormrender.com

Comment

I have send the link to the email provided. I should also note that RT Mode does recognize the animation keys of the birds wings flapping its just production that does not.
        The same scene also renders frame 0 as a black image but only in production mode RT works fine.
        Thanks for your help!
        Last edited by danmitch1; 05-27-2019, 10:09 PM.

Comment

I can reproduce the black frame issue. Will check why.
          Birds animation works properly for production render for me. I can't reproduce.

Comment

Thanks for testing. The birds move along the path but their wings dont flap. What version are you using? Ive got the max2020 compatible version of fstorm.

Comment

I installed max 2019 and it wouldn't work either. Birds move along the path but wings are frozen. My production mode will render black on the first frame, even if i select any specific frame it renders black. It only renders correctly when several frames are selected to be rendered but always leaving the first frame black.

Comment

Originally posted by danmitch1 View Post
                I installed max 2019 and it wouldn't work either. Birds move along the path but wings are frozen. My production mode will render black on the first frame, even if i select any specific frame it renders black. It only renders correctly when several frames are selected to be rendered but always leaving the first frame black.
                What fstorm version do you use?

Comment

For max 2020 I tried V1.3.1 and V1.3.2A. Then for max 2019 I tried V1.3.0D.

I found an odd solution though (using max2020 Fstorm-v1.3.2A) . In the common render setup\common parameters\time output, instead of using "active time segment" I simply used "range" specifying the frame range 0-400. the bird animation renders as it should. Frame 0 also rendered correctly oddly enough.

When you tested im assuming you rendered by range, correct? If so, try rendering using "active time segment", most likely you will have the birds flying along the path with frozen wings.

Comment

Working...
                  X